BMET Galaxy

Bearded Biomed Ask The Host

Hey folks If you have any questions you would like answered on the show or a specific topic you want my thoughts on shoot them here. Can even drop your name, title, location, whatever you feel like and I'll give you a shout out on the show. Appreciate your support as always and may the beard be with you

Logo.png

Hi, I’m a lead BMET and am considering whether I want to take a leap to management. Have you been in that position? Do you recommend it? Any pros or cons? I’ve been trying to figure out the ways to continue to climb the ladder but sounds like management is the only option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 10:00 PM, Biomed Bill said:

Hi, I’m a lead BMET and am considering whether I want to take a leap to management. Have you been in that position? Do you recommend it? Any pros or cons? I’ve been trying to figure out the ways to continue to climb the ladder but sounds like management is the only option.

Good day Biomed Bill. I've been in management for several years and it comes down to a few questions to help get you an answer. Do you love mentoring, training, coaching technicians? Does management of expenses, timeclocks, reports, TJC/DNV surveys, service escalations, hiring/firing sound enticing and/or worth it to you? I will say a lot of things are great about management but it does not mean its for everyone. You above all else must be patient with people and processes even though you know they are jacked up. You will have the opportunity however to leave your mark on those you manage and implement systems to create positive change that you may otherwise not have the ability to as a tech. I will also say just cause your management doesn't mean you will be the highest paid 100% of the time. I will say I enjoy leading and helping pull potential out of technicians the most.

On 5/10/2024 at 10:00 PM, Biomed Bill said:

3 minutes ago, BeardedBiomed said:

Good day Biomed Bill. I've been in management for several years and it comes down to a few questions to help get you an answer. Do you love mentoring, training, coaching technicians? Does management of expenses, timeclocks, reports, TJC/DNV surveys, service escalations, hiring/firing sound enticing and/or worth it to you? I will say a lot of things are great about management but it does not mean its for everyone. You above all else must be patient with people and processes even though you know they are jacked up. You will have the opportunity however to leave your mark on those you manage and implement systems to create positive change that you may otherwise not have the ability to as a tech. I will also say just cause your management doesn't mean you will be the highest paid 100% of the time. I will say I enjoy leading and helping pull potential out of technicians the most.

On 5/12/2024 at 9:33 AM, Matt2 said:

Funny stories you have from the field?

Oh there are always so many to account for lol. I've had service calls come in through dispatch that have stated " Need Dynamite calibrated" of course they meant dynamap but I had fun with them on this one. Another referenced needing a "dildometer" repaired which was supposed to be a dynamometer which I still to this day have no clue how they didn't catch that lol.

On 5/11/2024 at 5:04 PM, Calamity said:

We just finished up a survey. Maybe some prep items to prepare? Especially in regards to handling RPTs..?

I have made a point to have credentialing packets put together for each technician which includes (scrubbed resume, recent competency eval, training certs, test equipment certs, and PM reports) I provide everything in a binder for them to have first hand and usually if they ask to run a tracer on a device I have my tablet handy to run a ref check based on whats in their hand. It eliminates scrambling and gives them a sense you have your shit together. Usually makes the surveys fly by. Also in reagrds to RPTs everything flows through your MEMP and P&P that is set by the organization. Say what you do and do what you say. For reference our MEMP for RPTs is as follows:

Be compliant with 2012 NFPA99.
10.2.3.6. Multiple Outlet Connection. Two or more power receptacles supplied by a flexible cord shall
be permitted to be used to supply power to plug-connected components of a movable equipment assembly
that is rack-, table-, pedestal-, or cart- mounted, provided that all the following conditions are met:
1. The receptacles are permanently attached to the equipment assembly.
2. The sum of the ampacity of all appliances connected to the outlets does not exceed 75 percent of
the ampacity of the flexible cord supplying the outlets.
3. The ampacity of the flexible cord is in accordance with NFPA 70, National Electrical Code.
4. The electrical and mechanical integrity of the assembly is regularly verified and documented.
5. Means are employed to ensure that additional devices or nonmedical equipment cannot be
connected to the multiple outlet extension cord after leakage currents have been verified as safe.

 Listed as UL 1363A or UL 60601-1.
 Be equipped with dual circuit breakers, hospital grade plug and hospital grade receptacles.
 Lock out open receptacles with splash resistant covers that require a tool to access.
 Power strip should never be used to power non-patient care-related electrical equipment (personal
electronics).
 Power strip should never be used as an extension cord, Daisy-Chained, improperly routed, improperly
mounted, overloaded or show signs of thermal distress, damage or neglect.

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2024 at 11:32 PM, BeardedBiomed said:

I have made a point to have credentialing packets put together for each technician which includes (scrubbed resume, recent competency eval, training certs, test equipment certs, and PM reports) I provide everything in a binder for them to have first hand and usually if they ask to run a tracer on a device I have my tablet handy to run a ref check based on whats in their hand. It eliminates scrambling and gives them a sense you have your shit together. Usually makes the surveys fly by. Also in reagrds to RPTs everything flows through your MEMP and P&P that is set by the organization. Say what you do and do what you say. For reference our MEMP for RPTs is as follows:

Be compliant with 2012 NFPA99.
10.2.3.6. Multiple Outlet Connection. Two or more power receptacles supplied by a flexible cord shall
be permitted to be used to supply power to plug-connected components of a movable equipment assembly
that is rack-, table-, pedestal-, or cart- mounted, provided that all the following conditions are met:
1. The receptacles are permanently attached to the equipment assembly.
2. The sum of the ampacity of all appliances connected to the outlets does not exceed 75 percent of
the ampacity of the flexible cord supplying the outlets.
3. The ampacity of the flexible cord is in accordance with NFPA 70, National Electrical Code.
4. The electrical and mechanical integrity of the assembly is regularly verified and documented.
5. Means are employed to ensure that additional devices or nonmedical equipment cannot be
connected to the multiple outlet extension cord after leakage currents have been verified as safe.

 Listed as UL 1363A or UL 60601-1.
 Be equipped with dual circuit breakers, hospital grade plug and hospital grade receptacles.
 Lock out open receptacles with splash resistant covers that require a tool to access.
 Power strip should never be used to power non-patient care-related electrical equipment (personal
electronics).
 Power strip should never be used as an extension cord, Daisy-Chained, improperly routed, improperly
mounted, overloaded or show signs of thermal distress, damage or neglect.

Do you guys have TJC or DNV?

TJC has hit us for not having a live measurement showing the 75%. So we implemented a program that restricts what can be plugged in based on max amperage of each device.

They hit us because an item not mounted to the same pole was plugged into an RPT. They said everything plugged into an RPT must be physically attached to the same pole or cart.

And most recently they said that the knob on the RPT needs to be locked out. If staff can turn the knob for the pole clamp then it’s not fixed. They recommend it being screwed in… which is modification of a device.

They really gone in on the RPTs and it feels like the goal posts are moving every 3rd year.

On 5/24/2024 at 9:24 AM, BeardedBiomed said:

Oh there are always so many to account for lol. I've had service calls come in through dispatch that have stated " Need Dynamite calibrated" of course they meant dynamap but I had fun with them on this one. Another referenced needing a "dildometer" repaired which was supposed to be a dynamometer which I still to this day have no clue how they didn't catch that lol.

It’s funny, in my hospital every patient vital machjne is referred to as a Dinamap or a “nurse in a stick”. The 2nd term is so antiquated but has somehow held on to relevancy 

On 5/24/2024 at 10:16 AM, BeardedBiomed said:

Very insightful!

Edited by Matt2